By Scott A. Boorman
Read Online or Download The Protracted Game: A Wei-Ch'i Interpretation of Maoist Revolutionary Strategy PDF
Similar language & grammar books
This publication is a cross-linguistic exam of different grammatical capability languages hire to symbolize a common set of semantic family among clauses. The investigations specialize in methods of mixing clauses except via relative and supplement clause buildings. those span a few kinds of semantic linking.
This quantity examines the development of Turkey's attainable ecu Union accession in French political discourse. In modern France, heated debates relating to Turkey's ecu club are becoming a vital a part of eu identification formation. once more, the 'Turkish different' services as a replicate for outlining not just the 'European Self', but in addition ecu values.
This feature of papers from the ITI’s landmark First foreign Colloquium on Literary Translation comprises provocative views at the educating, learn and standing of literary schooling in universities. in terms of creation Peter Bush appears to be like at ideas for elevating the profile of the idea and perform of literary translation, its professionalisation and position within the improvement of nationwide and foreign cultures.
In Understanding overseas Sign, Lori A. Whynot examines foreign signal (IS) to figure out the level to which signers from varied international locations understand it. She focuses completely on expository lecture IS utilized in convention settings and offers the 1st empirical study on its effectiveness for speaking wealthy info to diversified viewers contributors.
- Geschichte eines Deutschen: Die Erinnerungen 1914-1933
- Child Second Language Acquisition; A bi-directional study of English and Italian tense-aspect morphology (Studies in Bilingualism)
- A Glossary of Sociolinguistics.
- Nonmanuals in Sign Language
- Die traditionelle Aussprache des Athiopischen
Additional info for The Protracted Game: A Wei-Ch'i Interpretation of Maoist Revolutionary Strategy
75) [Mary climbed the mountain]sc, she climbed right to the top. (76) [John has gone out]sc, he’s gone to the shop for some apples. (Sentences like these scarcely occur in formal written English. ) 28 R. M. W. Dixon In these sentences, the Wnal clause, which provides the most information, is Focal clause of the linking. The conjunction and in English has a wide functional range. Very often the clauses it joins are in a Temporal linking, as in (17) and (77) [Mary left John]sc and he went into a monastery.
By coming Wrst it would be expected that she should automatically win the prize. Here one clause can be recognized as Focal and the other as Supporting. Mary’s winning the prize depends on her coming Wrst in the race, not the other way around, showing that winning the prize in (70) and won the prize in (71) are the Supporting clauses. Note that, as an alternative (70), one could say: (72) [Mary won the prize]sc, coming Wrst in her race. but not, corresponding to (71): (73) *[Mary won the prize]sc, and came Wrst in her race.
Indeed, in English and could be substituted for but in (78) and (79) with the contrast shown by appropriate use of stress (indicated by ’): (78’) (79’) [Mary is a Methodist]sc, and her ’brother is a Catholic. [John is rich]sc, ’and he is not happy. In (78’) her brother is stressed to draw attention to the contrast. An anaphoric pronoun, such as he in (79’), cannot be stressed so here stress goes on and. (In each instance, the meanings are only roughly—not perfectly—maintained. ) We can have a Contrast linking in which the Focal clause is simply the negation of the complement clause within the Supporting clause, as in: Typological Perspective 29 (80) [John said he would come]sc, but he didn’t.
The Protracted Game: A Wei-Ch'i Interpretation of Maoist Revolutionary Strategy by Scott A. Boorman